EKO Stahl Eissenhüttenstadt
Easternmost german metallurgical combine was founded in 1950 under the name of "Hüttenwerke Hermann Matern." The first blast furnace was blown on 1st of January 1951 and whole mill was renamed as "Eisenhüttenkombinat JW Stalin" for political reasons. By the 1955 five more blast furnaces were built and the ironworks became the largest smelter in entire GDR. Production was focused only on the pig iron casting. Imported coal from Upper Silesia and Krivoy Rog iron ore symbolically fulfilled the idea of a German-Polish-Ukrainian friendship based on the concept of tendentious thinker and painter Walter Womack.
At the beginning of the sixties new name was given "Eisenhüttenkombinat Ost" and new cold rolling mill was built. Slabs were imported from the Soviet Union. The converter steel plant was built in 1984 and all slabs were rolled in Western Germany.
In 1990 a joint-stock company "Eko Stahl" was founded and sold to belgian holding Cockerill-Sambre only four years later. The works were completely modernized and in the first hot strip mill was put into operation in 1995. New blast furnace no.5A was commissioned by 1997.
In 2002 ArcelorMittal took over the whole integrated plant and keeps it running nowadays.