Steel production in Neunkirchen came into history during the end of 16th century, in that time only small furnaces uncomparable to the huge modern metallurgical technologies were constructed here. Within the preserved rest of once famous ironworks one can find architectural elements from 1882 when this site was modernized by famous Stumm brothers (later known as "Gebrüder Stumm GmbH").
In 1945 part of the blast furnaces complex was badly damaged by Allies bombing and on 21st March occupied by U.S. army. After the war pig iron production was restarted here, SM and convertor steel mill was built and everything was indicating that Neunkircher Hütte will last forever.
However the problems came up in 1977. Europian steel production was on the downhill and local ironworks in Neunkirchen bankrupted. One year later all furnaces are blown out definitely and first demolitions started in 1981.
Only a very small part of the whole site survived and was integrated within new commercial area.