Company Wargöns AB, which originally operated a paper-pulp mill was founded in 1874. The first electric furnace for ferroalloys smelting was put into operation in 1912.
At the beginning of the fifties, when the plant was owned by the American company Air Reduction Co. a new furnace No. X was commissioned. In 1969 the company was taken over by Holmens Bruk AB, and three years later construction of a new furnace No. XII was finished, the largest of its kind in the world in that time.
Furnace no. X was relined for ferro-chromium smelting in 1995.
At present, the only producer of ferroalloys in Sweden is part of Turkish group Yildirim, incorporated in 2008.