The beginnings of metallurgy in Cleveland area are dating back to 1830. More than convenient location situated one the shores of Lake Erie and proper railroad connection with Pennsylvania coal mines made Cleveland a strategic American Midwest city soon. In 1870 first private mill "Lakeside Works" was founded by Otis Iron and Steel Co., the very first producer of open-hearth steel in the United States. In 1912 new mill "Riverside Works" by Cuyahoga river was established and two new blast furnaces operated by Corrigan-McKinney Steel Co. were built.
Corrigan-McKinney company was taken over by Republic Steel Corp. in 1935 and old Otis works were bought by Jones & Laughlin Steel soon after.
In 1942 the Defense Plant Corp. built for Republic Steel blast furnace C5 and C6 in 1952 (both still in operation). Another significant technological milestone was reached in the beginning of the 60´s, when the old open-hearth furnaces were replaced by pair of oxygen converters. Modern hot strip mill followed in 1971 and slab caster in 1983.
Later on two previously competing mills - Republic Steel and Jones & Laughlin Steel were merged into LTV Steel Corp, however went bankrupt thanks to long-lasting difficulties and poor market situation in 2001. The iron and steel production in Cleveland was restarted in 2005 when International Steel Group (ISG) entered the market and became part of Mittal Steel in 2005, later ArcelorMittal.
Keywords: Ohio, Cleveland, American Midwest, Corrigan-McKinney Steel, Republic Steel, Jones & Laughlin Steel, LTV Steel, ArcelorMittal, International Steel Group, steelworks, železárny, hüttenwerk, hochofen, blast furnace, vysoká pec, hochofenanlage
Views: 1124 ×