Liezen is an important industrial district in Styrian valley Ennstal. Surrounding ore deposits are well-known since 13th century already, traces of mining and smelting activity dates back to the end of 19th century here.
Current foundry was established by Schmid-Schmidsfeld family in 1939 and named as "Schmidhütte Liezen". The original purpose was war material production only. The works consisted of one open-hearth melt shop and two electric arc furnaces. Plant was closed down when American Allied army reached Liezen, however reopened and refurbished soon after when taken over by VÖEST company.
In 1994 the foundry became private as "Maschinenfabrik Liezen -und Gießerei" and belongs among the top manufactures of machines for mineral processing including crushing and sorting equipment today. The steel is melted in two 8 tons electric arc furnaces.
Views: 1141 ×